Friday, April 12, 2013

Kuala Lumpur

I was going to write about kindness today.  But writing while on holidays is challenging, to say the least.  Luckily I've been able to get wireless internet access everywhere I've stayed so far, which is a help.  I have a  small picture on my wall that I bought when I was about 15 that simply says:

The greatest kindness we can offer one another is truth

It resonated with me the minute I saw it and has continued to do so over the years.  Which means that although I sometimes feel that I would like to be a kinder person, my bluntness and conviction that the truth is so important has sometimes led to some awkward moments.  Thankfully I have another saying from my mum  that helps to balance things out:

If you can't find anything nice to say, don't say anything at all

At any rate, that's about all the words I can find at the moment so instead of a well-thought out post, I'm presenting you this evening with a couple of pictures from Kuala Lumpur, my stopover when I went to Australia in December.

Petronas Towers - 88 floors high

Batik factory

Fruit stall

Sultan's palace

View towards the town (and the Petronas Towers) from outside the Sultan's palace, including the gathering rainclouds - note to self, next time you think about going to Malaysia, check whether it's monsoon season or not!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That seems like such an exotic wonderful place to visit! I don't know if it is just my perception or not but it seems when I read blogs that those of you from Europe take much more exciting vacation/holidays than most people in the USA. traveling out of the US further than the caribbean happens but it just does not seem to be all that common with people I know. It is more like a super special once in a very special occasion type thing. Mostly because it is so darn expensive. I say I really envy the trips I read about but I sure do enjoy reading the blog posts!

Rob-bear said...

Delightful thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

Moonwaves said...

Believe me, that trip really was a super special once in a lifetime one. If my sister didn't live in Australia, I wouldn't have done it because paying for accommodation for the entire time would have put it entirely out of my reach. The flights were expensive enough! But it was great to be able to use the opportunity to see somewhere different like Malaysia and I'd definitely recommend anyone doing that kind of very long distance trip to break it for a day or two if possible. It didn't add any cost to my flight to stay for 48 hours in Kuala Lumpur so I just had the price of a hotel for two nights and the tours that I booked to make the most of the short time I was there. I really wished that I had done the same on the way back because the long flight with just a couple of hours break, spent siting in the airport, was pretty tough.

The other thing to remember, of course, the that what seems exotic to you is perfectly everyday to me (and vice versa). I could hop on a train to visit a friend in Brussels or Paria any weekend and it's just an ordinary thing to me whereas for others a trip to Brussels or Paris could be the high point of a once in a lifetime trip.

Anonymous said...

Yes, true it is all about perspective. But you are also right that hopping on a train for a weekend to Paris or Brussels sounds amazing to me. Thanks for sharing your adventures because I really enjoy reading about your trips. :)