Thursday, August 16, 2007

One Local Summer - Week 8

Earlier this week I had a wonderful omelette. What's so wonderful about this omelette? It had peas and tomatoes from my very own garden in it! Absolutely yummy. Organic, free-rang eggs from Co. Meath and a tiny bit of cheese from Paddy Jacks were the only other things that went into this. The peas were a bit on the small side and there weren't many because I just couldn't restrain myself from picking them any more. There are a good few still growing on the plant so I'm going to try and wait for those ones to grow to a decent size before picking them. I definitely need to grow more peas next year. And get bigger canes to allow them to grow higher too.

Will try and get the photo uploaded soon. Am off to the Irish Green Gathering tomorrow so have a day off. Am taking advantage of being off on a Friday to go to the market in Leopardstown in the morning. Hope to get there early enough to meet my sister before she has to go for a physio appointment and to get a chicken from the guys from Coolanowle. Then rush home to cook that chicken so that I can take it with me in sandwiches for the weekend or (much more likely) to put it in the freezer to cook next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your omelet sounds lovely. The more blogs I read where people talk about their own gardens the more I long for one. Hopefully by next summer we will live somewhere I can grow something (as it is now, we have little light in the apartment so even houseplants don't like it here. And I can understand your pea problem - I'm sure I would be the same. I feel like I wait all year for the peas to come into the farmers market so I can eat my weight in them.

*melanie from meli-mello.com