Monday, July 05, 2010
Out of my just over half a kilo of cherries, I ended up with 375g of fruit to use. Between de-stoning them and throwing out the ones that had little white maggoty caterpillar yokes in them (the joys of getting stuff from a truly organic garden) that was all that was left. I just used from 1:1 jam sugar so all I had to do was add 375g of that, bring to a boil while stirring constantly and let cook for 4 minutes. Well, that's what the packet says. Obviously I cooked it for longer than that because, well, that's the kind of thing I do. At least I didn't burn it. All of that effort for one large jar of jam was hardly worth it but at least I didn't just throw the whole lot out. I had a quick taste and honestly, I think this particular jam tastes mostly of sugar. I'll bring it home with me at the end of the week and let my sister and her kids decide if it's nice or not. If it's too sweet they won't eat it at all.