Saturday, May 17, 2014

Getting To Know Me in 10 Questions: The Travel Edition

Stealing this from Live to List, who in turn robbed it from somewhere else. That's just the way t'internet works, innit? Honestly, I'm kind of struggling with a touch of depression at the moment. I haven't quite fallen into a hole and I am fighting it hard but it is a struggle. For some reason this time round I don't really feel like I'm finding the words to write it out either so I might do a few of these meme type posts to see if it gets the juices flowing, so to speak.


  1. Your most treasured passport stamp?  I remember going to Prague on a school trip when it was still in Czechoslovakia and being so excited to get a stamp in my passport. But it turned out we had a group passport so I didn't get one. I think I was so disappointed I've never really been able to get excited about it since. Also, almost all my travel has been within Europe, so no stamps anyway.
  2. Can you recite your passport number if asked? Not at all. Not even a little bit.
  3. Preferred method of travel: plane, train or automobile? Trains all the way. I, along with all my siblings, used to get really bad motion sickness when we were kids. Train's the only thing I've never been sick on. I still can't read or do anything else in a car or bus so it's a really boring way or me to travel. And I love that even if I miss my train, I can just get on the next one in a couple of hours.
  4. Top three travel items? Books (these days my Kindle), comfy shoes, a shawl/huge scarf, preferably my hemp one, which works equally well to keep sun out or warm me up.
  5. Hostel or hotel? Hotel if possible
  6. Are you a repeat visitor, or do your prefer to explore new places? Both, I suppose. There are so many new places I would like to see but really, I prefer to really get to know places and feel at home there. Actually, I think that's the reason there'll be less and less travel in my future - I find myself yearning more and more for just one place to stay put and feel like it could take a lifetime to really get to know a place that well.
  7. Do you read up on your destination, or do you wing it? I wing it. Although I always make a token effort and get a guidebook or two from the library, I rarely do more than flick through. And yet my best holidays have often been the ones where I've travelled with people who've done loads of research.
  8. Favourite travel website? Don't have one. I do use roomex to book hotels, usually, so I suppose they deserve a mention.
  9. Where would you recommend a friend to visit, and why? Slovenia, to go walking and be able to fill your water from the gorgeous rivers. Boston - 'cos lunch in Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market!
  10. You're leaving tomorrow and money is no object: where are you going?* Siberia. Or anywhere else on my list!

*[pedant hat on]The original meme, or at least as many as I clicked through to, had "money is no option". Assuming that the question isn't about where you'd go if you had absolutely no money, I've corrected it.[/pedant hat off]

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Please don't fall in a hole...I know it's hard when depression sneaks up. They call it the "black dog" here (there's a whole website on it...is that term used in Europe?)

We are flying out on June 18th so I'm avidly reading these lists! I see you have "scarf" on your top 3 items, like Sarah does...it will definitely have to go in our luggage!

I was intrigued about the "money is no option" thing as well! That could make for an interesting post!

Siberia sounds incredibly exotic as a destination! I haven't heard of roomex before so thanks - great timing for us to look it up!

SarahN @ livetolist said...

Good point, now you mention it - the last question doesn't really make sense!

I am actually medicated for depression. I don't mention it unless it's in a context of sharing someone in a similar bad place. I feel for you, I really do. I hope you find natural ways that can slowly pull you out - I know I try to eat healthier, exercise more and reach out to friends. When all that is not enough, and it lingers, I head to Doctor. It's not ideal, but I need help, and I'm not afraid to ask for it...

My heart is with you.

Anonymous said...

I hope the niggling onset of depression heals itself and moves on really quickly.