Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Detoxing day 3

Apart from drinking the makes-you-pee tea every day I'm not so much detoxing as I am just eating healthily. Crucially, however, I am not snacking and this has definitely been facilitated by having to leave work early for doctors appointments the last two days.  So I will need to be careful tomorrow when I'm not only going to be working a full day, but will very likely end up doing an hour or two of overtime to catch up as well.  Choir has been cancelled but people are going to meet for drinks at a restaurant and I'm in two minds whether to go or not.  On the one hand, it'd be nice to go out and not be thinking about leaving as soon as I arrive because I know I have to work the next day (it's a bank holiday on Thursday).  On the other, it's money I would be better advised to not spend.  When I was first thinking about this I thought it was typical that the one time I can sleep in the next morning and so not worry about having a bit too much to drink, I'm trying to do a mini-detox.  Then I realised that although I do kind of fancy getting pissed, I still don't have any problem going out with a bunch of people and drinking fizzy water or herbal teas while they're quaffing beer. I'll probably just see how tomorrow goes and decide spontaneously whether to go or not.

As for day 3 of my mini-detox, while I have felt hungry during the day I haven't really had a headache, except for an hour or two towards the end of work and that was most likely caused by stress.  I did develop a coldsore overnight though, which is very annoying.  The second one I've ever had.  I wonder if it was going to happen anyway or if this detox is stressing my body physically more than I think.  For lunch I had some of the carrot and ginger soup that I made on Sunday.  To bulk it up a little I handed a small amount of small alphabet pasta shapes.  It filled me up quite well alright but I didn't really like the pasta so I think I'll just stick to soup next time or maybe add some lentils or barley.

I had two slices of bread with cheese and dried tomatoes when I arrived home at around six o'clock and didn't eat dinner until nearly nine.  That was a small salad with oak leaf lettuce, some more dried tomatoes (they're the type that come in herby oil, just in case anyone is mistakenly thinking that I'm being really, really virtuous) and a simple vinaigrette dressing.  I also had three more small slices of bread (that's the problem with round-shaped bread, not all slices are equal) with a bit less than two teaspoons of the wild garlic pesto I made yesterday.  Delicious.  Really, really delicious in the I-want-to-eat-it-all-now-but-that-small-amount-was-more-than-satisfying kind of way.  I can't believe it has taken me this long to get around to making my own pesto.  It's certainly something I have intended to do several times.  Actually, I've intended to make hummus multiple times as well and never have.  I think I'm going to go and put some chickpeas on to steep.  After all, I'll have a bit of time on Thursday to think about cooking them.  I've been wanting to try Smitten Kitchen's recipe for ethereally smooth hummus and am pretty sure I still have tahini in the cupboard since the last time I intended to try making it and never got around to it.  

Tomorrow will be porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch, apples for snacks and I think it will be a good idea to bring a small sandwich to eat at around five or so, especially since I'll probably end up working past six.  I'm going to try and make it to the market before work in the morning and try and get my hands on some strawberries, too.  Haven't had any yet as the weather still hasn't been great and they're probably not too sweet yet but the last two days have been sunny so I might get lucky.

No comments: