Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Mouldy apple sauce
Just noticed while chopping up some apples for the dehydrator, that one of the jars containing apple sauce from a couple of weeks ago has starting a mouldy patch. Picked up the one next to it and it has the same problem. The jars are still on the table because I haven't even gotten around to putting labels on them or filling in the total number to my log. Oh well. These two jars were ones which I didn't process in a water bath so obviously removing most of the juice must also remove a lot of the acid which allowed to do this before. It's a pity as the water bath processing for apple sauce is a pain. However, I've gotten some tips on how to manage it better so hopefully next time will see an improvement. In the meantime I'm a bit annoyed because the two jars that have spoiled are leifheit jars with two part lids and that's just a waste of good lids!