Sunday, September 17, 2006

And so it begins...

I've created this blog mainly to be able to get my own thoughts down on paper (so to speak). My typing is much better than my handwriting so it seemed easier to do it on a pc - as well as that there is also the chance that others may read this blog and perhaps leave the occasional comment.

I'm very much a newbie to the world of blogging though, so if anyone is reading, please bear with me.

I've started reading other blogs recently and it has been an eye-opener for me. I always knew there must be other people out there who shared similar beliefs to mine about sustainable living, simple living, local living, gentle living - call it what you will. Until I started finding other people's blogs (must figure out how to link to some of them from here) however I sort of felt "alone". It warms my heart to have found out that I'm really not. In fact, I'm way, way behind a lot of other people when it comes down to it.

How and ever, everyone has to start somewhere and I hope to use this blog to record my experiences in trying to make my life the way I want it to be (rather than just waiting for it to magically become the way I'd like it, which I've wasted a good part of my nearly 32 years doing!). It should also serve as a record for me of what I have done and what I hope to do to achieve my aim.

As an urban dweller and living in rented accomodation there are limits to what I can do. As somone who was very careless with money for a few years in my twenties I cannot currently choose to leave Dublin. I do like my job and it pays me well enough that I can afford to repay my (now huge) loan. That should be finished with in a little less than five years and so I've made my peace with the fact that I can't make any major changes until then. What I need to do now is make all the small changes in my life to prepare me for a bigger change in 2011. While somehow keeping in the back of my mind that life is what happens while we're busy making plans and so all of this could end up going in a totally different direction over the next five years. Que sera sera and all that!

No comments: