Monday, October 24, 2016

Personality changing?

A few years ago I posted about the Meyers-Briggs personality type test and how I almost always came out with an ISFJ type. Laura over at The Occasional Nomads posted a link to a different online version of the test today and I'm having a bit of a duvet day so I figured, why not?

Interestingly, this test puts me in the INFJ camp, or "advocate". Actually, it places me as INFJ-T, with the following breakdown:
  • 95% introverted/5% extroverted
  • 55% intuitive/45% observant
  • 42% thinking to 58% feeling
  • 59% judging to 41% prospecting
  • 11% assertive to 89% turbulent
The blurb for an advocate goes like this: The Advocate personality type is very rare, making up less than one percent of the population, but they nonetheless leave their mark on the world. As members of the Diplomat Role group, Advocates have an inborn sense of idealism and morality, but what sets them apart is that they are not idle dreamers, but people capable of taking concrete steps to realise their goals and make a lasting positive impact.
Advocates tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.

Not bad either. There's another part of the results that mention many people tend to think of advocates as quiet extroverts rather than introverts and I think that's probably fairly accurate too. Many people are surprised if I mention that I am an introvert.

Might go back and do the other tests again and see if the results of those have changed as well. I wonder if these tests are getting better, I'm changing, or if I'm just being more honest (in part due to not being as stressed since leaving my old job perhaps?) in my answers. Psychology may be one of the least accurate sciences (at least that's what the biologists I tend to hang out with these days often think :-) ) but it's certainly one of the most fascinating to me.

Edited to add: Just did the political compass test again. I do have a list of the results I've gotten from this somewhere I think but no idea where so it's just as easy to make a note of it here for now.

Economic Left/Right: -8.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28



1 comment:

Fiona said...

I'd be very happy to come out with an 'Advocate' assessment. Very interesting in terms of setting a course and direction.

Funnily enough, my 12 year old found a Myers-Brigg test online two weeks ago and was quite obsessed. He kept saying over and over, 'Why don't we do this at school...this is really useful...' etc. etc. He's talked about it a great deal ever since.