Thursday, April 28, 2022

Summer eating plan

In just a few days it will be May and although we had a few cold days again a week or so ago, the sun is finally starting to look like it may be here to stay for a while. I'm not quite in sandals yet, but it feels like it won't be long. Outdoors aquajogging starts up again next week and I can't wait. I was hoping to attend a zen meditation session two weeks ago but couldn't make it and then forgot to even try last week. I've just sent an email to see if I can attend this evening and if not, I'll head to the general open session next Monday. The calendar is definitely starting to fill up again.

A blurry photo of the current view from my office window. The light is too bright to show the amazing colour of the wisteria and since we've no smell-o-vision either, you'll have to use your imagination.

 

Along with the change in weather comes a change in eating habits. The soups and stews I've eaten so much of over the past few months will be out, salads and sandwiches in. My cooking and keeping an eye on eating properly has been all over the place since I had COVID. My energy, too. And so I decided to take it easy on myself in April and spend what energy I had coming up with a decent meal plan/concept for warm weather eating. I'm just about there but need to still figure out calories and protein for a few of the dishes I've selected. And I've bought most of what I need, except for stocking up on fresh salad leaves or other vegetables every week. 

Keeping it as simple as possible, and because I still do have some Optifast pouches to use up, for May I'll be having quark and fruit for most breakfasts, with an occaisional Optifast chocolate or vanilla drink. Lunches for about three weeks of May will be soup as I do have some in the freezer to use up as well as some Optifast. I'll scatter some spur of the moment canteen/bakery/meeting friends lunches in there to get me through the month.

And dinners will essentially be salads of various kinds. What I plan to do is prepare a lot of Korean-style side-dishes and then each week or two prepare some kind of protein. The salads will then be made up every day depending on what I feel like from each of the following categories:

Salad: mostly salad leaves (oakleaf, lambs lettuce, chard, spinach etc.), sometimes lentils or chickpeas, very rarely maybe potatoes or pasta

Side-dishes: a small amount from two or three different ones

Protein: chicken, tofu, meatballs, eggs

Sprinkly toppings: seeds and/or nuts

Dressing: vinaigrette or yoghurt


To start me off, I've planned on the following:

Side-dishes

  1. Kimchi (still need to buy this)
  2. Spicy braised green beans with feta
  3. Pickled red onions 
  4. Spicy Korean coleslaw
  5. Creme fraiche coleslaw (Found on instagram. I've always claimed to not like coleslaw but really, it's mayonnaise I don't like. Anyway, I figured if I'm going to chop cabbage up small, I might as well try more than one recipe. Will probably use cream cheese and/or yoghurt and/or quark rather than creme fraiche.)
  6. Pineapple salsa (although I'll be using a tin)
  7. Tomatoes (unplanned but they had local tomatoes in the supermarket yesterday and I couldn't resist - they must be from a heated greenhouse but I'll bet they're still very good for a salad - might mix with some onion or scallions)

Proteins

  1. Korean pancake with scallions
  2. Panfried tofu in garlic soy sesame sauce
  3. Super crispy tofu (recipe from Little Lou Cooks on instagram - I can't manage to log in at the moment from this pc but I highly recommend checking her out. Also on tiktok and FB, I think)
  4. Broccoli fritters (also from Little Lou Cooks)
  5. Chopped omelette
  6. Spicy chilli and honey pork (Pinch of Nom recipe but made with the veal I bought months ago)
  7. Chicken and apple (another Little Lou Cooks recipe that I'm going to try in the slow cooker)
  8. Lentil and chickpea salad with feta and tahini

Sprinkly toppings (I plan to just mix everything into a small jar to use for the week)

  1. Pumpkin seeds
  2. Sunflower seeds
  3. Hazelnuts
  4. Walnuts
  5. Sesame seeds

Dressings

  1. Standard olive oil and balsamic vinegar
  2. Olive oil and lemon and garlic
  3. Going to try a few different yoghurt dressing recipes - to start off easy, I've bought a packet of pre-mixed herbs that you just mix with yoghurt and vinegar
  4. I also bought pomegrante molasses to make the dressing from a Plenty recipe I love

I think that's more than enough to keep me going. The aim is to prep everything on a weekend and then just be able to help myself during the week.

No comments: