Sunday, September 11, 2011

Miscellaneous stuff on Sunday evening

I find it more and more difficult to watch American shows or comedies these days - the absolute horror that comes over people if they see a naked body part (apart from during sex scenes - and even then I still find myself wondering why so many women seem to feel the need to leave their bras on during sex), or if any bodily function is mentioned is harder and harder for me to accept because what used to be an over the top reaction added in for laughs has become so mainstream that it seems to have become the 'normal' way to think.  This thought has been brought to mind again recently as I started watching United States of Tara - I realise it is used in part to emphasise the difference between some of her alter egos and her but there have been a couple of parts where the daughter has really irritated me.

I've been to see two films in the cinema this weekend.  Long time since I've done that and apart from the heat (most cinemas here, at least the smaller ones, tend not to be air conditioned) I've really enjoyed it.  First up was Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three.  Some Like It Hot was a firm favourite at home when I was a kid and I've seen The Apartment and Buddy Buddy several times but apart from that haven't really seen a lot of Billy Wilder's films.  One, Two, Three was hilarious.   "Is everybody in this world corrupt?" - "I don't know everybody."

The second film was Taste the Waste - this is a documentary that was shown on television here a while ago and I remember only finding out about it a week or two later, when it was no longer available online.  Either it was just advertising for the film then or it has simply gained enough popularity to now be shown in cinemas all over.  Check if it will be near you soon, ask about it if it's not and maybe if enough demand is created, it will be shown all over.  Shocking footage (even when you know the facts behind it already) of the sheer quantities of food thrown away every day.  And of course, the statistics (yes, we all know the statistics can be made to say what you want but still...): the amount of food thrown away in Europe and North America could feed every starving person in the world. Three times over.

One of my local bakers was in the film too.  Knowing his shop, I know that he already offers day-old bread for sale at a reduced price (20% off).  Whatever is still leftover after that used to go to make animal feed but is now crushed up and mixed with sawdust to make pellets that he can use to heat the ovens to bake the bread.  If every bakery in Germany were to do the same, we'd need one less nuclear power plant.

Anyone else seen any good films recently?  I picked up a few leaflets for cinemas and theatres etc. and really want to try and make an effort to get out and do things every once in a while.

No comments: