Monday, May 28, 2007

Are these potatoes?

I'd seen no action in my tyre and all of a sudden last week I spotted this:

Does this mean I have potatoes growing at last? Or has something weird and wonderful blown in to my soil-filled tyre?


Three days later here is what they look like now (bit blurry this picture from yesterday - it started to lash rain so the last few shots had to be taken from the safety of the kitchen door).






And while we're at it, can anyone help in identifying this? It's a blowin in my front garden - this picture was taken about four weeks ago, the flowers didn't last long but there's a lot more greenery now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure that those are potatoes. Keep covering them up as they grow with straw or more soil!

Moonwaves said...

I will - have two more tyres on standby and lots of topsoil (or what I thought was lots of it - I seem to be using so much!). Am just going to leave it another day or so so that I can enjoy the thrill of seeing the plants!

Wimblejigs said...

I'm fairly sure that your mystery plant is a magnolia stellata. Mine gets furry fat buds on in winter and I live in fear that the flowers won't come, and then it makes me feel happy each year as an early harbinger of spring :-)

Moonwaves said...

Thanks for that. This was the first year I saw flowers on it - I'll be able to enjoy the anticipation for next year now!