Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Emperor wears no Clothes

Has anyone read Jack Herer's book The Emperor wears no Clothes: Hemp and the Marijuana Conspiracy? My brother has been at me to read it for ages and I finally borrowed it to use as my travelling book this holiday. It's really interesting, I didn't think I'd find it this good. I'm about halfway through although may actually be nearer the end of the book itself than I think as he has so far referenced a huge amount of appendices. My only thought so far is that it feels a bit too much like encouraging a monoculture, which of course is never good for the earth. I'd be interested to hear other views on this and also find out if anyone has any further reading materials to recommend on the subject, particularly counter-arguments (if there are any logical ones) as I like to hear both sides of a story before making my mind up about a topic when I can.

3 comments:

Maanas said...

Nice idea but do you really feel you needs views of others....

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it, but would be interested to. I like hearing others opinions too, its not that I need them, its interesting, polite to listen and often they come up with a slant I hadn't thought of.

www.sallygardens.typepad.com

Tommo said...

hemp is a very sustainable crop as it returns fertility to the soil in the form of fallen leaves as it ripens. it is beneficial for the structure of the soil and needs no weed control, pesticides or fertilisers. As well as providing a renewable source of our clothes, paper, houses, plastic and fuel, it is one of the most nutritionally complete foods in existence...and tasty too.

Thanks, Tom

I think it's a winner all round and every smallholding should be allowed to grow a patch to supply their oil/fibre/hempcrete/whatever they want it for.