Monday, April 29, 2013

Yoghurt Cake

Here's a quick and simple recipe for a cake that's similar to a spongecake or pound cake.  And it only uses one bowl for mixing so it's easy on the washing-up, too.  You start with a small pot of yoghurt and then use the empty pot to measure the other ingredients.  If, like me, you make your own yoghurt or buy it in large jars, just buy one small pot and when its empty, fill it with water and pour it into one of your normal cups.  I have some mulled wine mugs that I've gotten at various christmas markets over the years and I find them great for measuring stuff - they're 0.2 litre in capacity and the amount that fits into a small yoghurt pot is about the amount that fits into the mug without it being too full.  Or you can make sure to buy a small pot of yoghurt which is of the indestructible plastic type and just keep that to use as your measure.  At any rate, here's the simple 3, 2, 1 recipe.

Yoghurt Cake
1 small pot of yoghurt - any flavour you like. Then use the pot to measure:
3 pots of self-raising flour (can't get that here so I use ordinary and add a small packet of baking powder)
2 pots of sugar
1 pot of sunflower oil
And 3 eggs.

Put everything into a bowl, mix well, pour into a greased cake tin (I usually use a springform one) and bake at about 170 (centigrade) for half-an-hour or so.  Easy peasy.  Check the centre of it with a skewer or knife and if it comes out clear, it's done.  Keep an eye on the top of it and if it seems to be burning/getting a bit too golden but it's not finished baking, simply cover it with tinfoil.  When it's finished and has cooled down you can top it if you like.  Melted chocolate or cream and strawberries are two of my favourite toppings for this.

You can also add fruit if you like, I've seen my sister adding slices of tinned pineapple to the cake tin before pouring the batter in, for example and if you google yoghurt cake and look at the images results, you'll find some scrumptious-looking photos.  I've made this recipe using a bun tray before as well and it works well for that, too but the cooking time needs to be reduced in that case.

So there you have it.  Y turned out not to be as difficult as I thought it would be thanks to me remembering I had some yoghurt in the fridge I need to use up (would have been better if I'd also remembered that I needed eggs, though).  Off to give some thought to Z now in preparation for being able to give myself a pat on the back tomorrow for having completed the A to Z challenge!

5 comments:

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

yum! sounds good!

Marjorie McAtee said...

I made this for a friend's birthday once, it was really good.

Anonymous said...

That sounds good. I wouldnt mind giving that one a try. I'm assuming that the pots of yogurt in the USA probably are not too different in size to the ones in Europe and then it should work. Your sister sounds like she must be a pretty good cook. It is nice that you have a sister and that you get along so well. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Moonwaves said...

I have four of them, but we all get all well. That recipe comes from my sister in France and I do particularly love going to stay with her. She's taken on the French way of eating so you don't eat too much of anything but do get three course dinners (even if the dessert course is nothing more than some yoghurt and a piece of fruit).

Anonymous said...

Four sisters you are very lucky! That way of eating does sound very smart. I am not always that good with portion control but I am trying to eat more intuitively.