Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday night chit-chat

No photo this week, just a quote that Laura from Noho'ana Hau'ole: Life is Good used in response to a comment I made that I really liked and wanted to have here for inspiration:

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in ones favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe’s couplets: ‘Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it! Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it.’” –W.H. Murray, of the Scottish Himalayan Expedition

If you want to join in with Sunday night chit-chat, head on over to Half-Dozen Daily, where Carla hosts this lovely review every week.


What are you:

Reading
I spent most of yesterday and today reading (and finishing) The Memory of Light.  Still can't quite believe the series is over.  I plan to read the entire series from the beginning again but may not get to that until next year.  Now I need to really make some progress reading Atonement, since it's book club this week and I'm only two chapters in.

Watching

Nothing.  I did watch a couple of clips on youtube of Britain's Got Talent earlier but that's it.  These two were very good, I thought.  Attraction (shadow dancing) and Jack Carroll (14 year-old stand-up comedian)

Listening to

Not much of anything.  Some noise from the taxi rank outside but otherwise it's quiet tonight.

Cooking/baking

Again, absolutely nothing.  Need to get back into the swing of cooking properly again.

Happy you accomplished this week

I had a good long walk today.  And finished my book.  And managed, just about, to get through the third week of the A to Z blogging challenge.  And got caught up on washing after having missed last week due to being away - at least now I know that I can survive two weeks without doing laundry even if it does mean I'll need to have recourse to my oldest gray-used-to-be-white knickers.

Looking forward to next week

There's a lecture on tomorrow evening that I hope to get to.  Can't remember what it's about because I just wrote lecture in my diary but I think it's the one about the Jewish history of Dusseldorf, which would be interesting.  Then there's choir on Wednesday, book club on Thursday and at the weekend, I'll be helping out at the Irish Business Network's pasta party and meet + greet stand for the marathon.

Thankful for today

Clean underwear.  Hey, it's the little things in life that matter, isn't it?

Bonus question: fill in the blank - I am by far the biggest ______ snob

I really don't know if I can limit this to just one answer and still have a niggly feeling that there's something I missing that is the thing that I really, really am the biggest snob about.  But here's a few of the things that I just don't even bother ever ordering while out because it can just never match what I make myself at home: mashed potatoes, tiramisu, banoffee pie, anything with shortcrust pastry.  And tomatoes of course, has to be local, organic and only in season for tomatoes.

2 comments:

~Carla~ said...

I'm so glad that i'm not the only "snob" in some things.. lol!! My week has been "interesting" in regards to cooking as well, need to step it up for the rest of the week! Have a great week! :)

Anonymous said...

It is the little things you are right. When we are without them those are certainly the things we appreciate the most. Sounds like you have a busy week planned with a lot of interesting things. Have a good one!