Sunday, March 31, 2013

Bees

I have seen reports recently about Barack Obama signing the Monsanto Protection Bill into law. To be completely honest, I haven't done any in-depth reading on this because just reading the headlines was enough to make me feel like there's no hope left for the world.

And now I've just seen this link on twitter and it's so incredibly disturbing I don't even know what to think - even though I know full well that head in the sand is not at all the appropriate response!

Stop the Mass Death of Bees!

"Monsanto's Mon810 corn, genetically engineered to produce a synthetic version of the insecticide Bt, has been banned in Polandfollowing protests by beekeepers who showed the corn was killing honeybees. Meanwhile, commercial beekeepers in the U.S. have filed an emergency legal petition with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to suspend use of a pesticide that is linked to massive honey bee deaths. The legal petition, which specifies Bayer's neonicotinoid pesticide clothianidin, is backed by over one million citizen petition signatures."
If you're in the USA, perhaps you'll consider (at least) signing that petition.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I don't know enough about this type of thing, but the very thought of is concerning.