Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kitchen goings-on

I have soda bread in the oven (smells and looks absolutely fantastic even if I do say so myself) - it was a truly whack it all together job after reading a very un-soda bread soda bread recipe on Smitten Kitchen (more like a cakey scone thing that she did - and I learned that Americans put caraway seeds in soda bread.  Very odd.  Undoubtedly tasty but nonetheless odd) and then linking from there to a lovely article explaining the origin of soda bread with a very simple recipe.  As soda bread should always be and so I decided to give it a go.  I bought buttermilk yesterday as I had been thinking of doing this soon anyway.  Threw the flour, bicarb of soda, salt, sugar and buttermilk into a mixing bowl, mixed, kneaded for about ten seconds while adding more flour so it wasn't quite so liquid and that was it.  Rememberd to score it properly before going in the oven too.

While that went in I made some shortcrst pastry (100g butter, 100g plain flour, 100g wholemeal flour plus pinch of salt and cold water) which is now resting in the fridge and will be made into a quiche shortly.  Have chopped up leeks, onions and garlice to go into that.  From the feel of it, this pastry is going to be really good.  I love it when a throwing stuff together evening turns out really good food.

One jar of tomatoes from yesterday didn't seal.  Will add that to the rest of them this evening - going to cook a sauce out of them I think and then bottle that.

Must go and rescue the bread before it burns.  More later with photos.

No comments: