Monday, May 28, 2007

Tomatoes

Well, I finally managed to get the time, camera and weather all working together for once and managed to get a few photos taken of the garden. I bought seeds for a hanging type of tomato (Tumblers) and of all my seeds these three are the only ones starting to look like real tomato plants. I bought a hanging basket and then realised that it was my old hosue that had several hooks hanging up already for baskets. So, not being willing to start trying to hammer into concrete (I just have visions of bringing walls crashing down around my ears) I am considering putting the basket on top of the shed and favouring the planting to one side which could then hang over the side of the shed as needed.

Here's a photo of the shed, what do you reckon my chances are? It was tricky trying to take this photo by stretching my hand out around my bedroom window and trying not to take a picture of my neighbours' garden as well ('cos that just felt wrong somehow)! The lighter part of the shed roof you can see is where the sun is shining. It's one of the few places in the garden which probably gets sun most of the day so could be an ideal spot for tomatoes. Here's the same shed taken from the ground. It seems quite big but really only half of it is ours. From the right edge of the door back to the hedge is our shed. When you open the door there is a wall immediately to the right and from there up as far as the house is our neighbours' shed. I bought a hanging basket which is just one of the plastic types and it has a slightly flattened bottom so it should be possible to just rest it on that flat roof. Would welcome any comments/suggestions.

Here are the three seedlings I have at the moment. I'm so proud of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think tomatoes would be great on the roof. I recently watched a video podcast (I think from Gardeners' World on BBC) that showed how to make a rooftop bed. I think they put down plywood on the bottom as an extra support, and also some plastic to keep water from leaking down. Anyway, best of luck to you with your plans. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do!